At Chineham Park, sustainability and biodiversity are at the heart of everything we do. Therefore, we are delighted that the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is back for another year. It really is a great way to engage with wildlife and become more interested in your surroundings when you are at work and home.
When is it:
Simply count the birds you see at Chineham Park or in your garden or local park for one hour between 28 and 30 January 2022.
In 2021, more than one million people took part in Big Garden Birdwatch, all coming together to look out for birds. Shockingly, we’ve lost 38 million birds from UK skies in the last 50 years, so it really is vital we do all we can to look after our birdlife.
As a conservation charity, the RSPB depends on your support to save nature and to look after places where wildlife can thrive. By taking part in Big Garden Birdwatch, you can also make a difference. Wherever you are, whatever you see, it counts, and helps to track and monitor the numbers of species in each area.
How it works:
Taking part is as easy as 1,2,3
1. Watch the birds around you for one hour
2. Count how many of each species of bird lands on your patch
3. Go online or fill out the form that was sent in the post to tell them what you saw
Biodiversity at Chineham Park:
Chineham Park has committed to achieving net zero carbon across the park by 2050, aligned with the Paris Agreement to limit warming by 1.5 degrees. Here’s what we’ve already done to reduce our impact across the park:
- Planted over 3000 new bulbs.
- Installed bat bird and hedgehog boxes.
- Set up a camera to monitor deer activity nearby.
- Installed a new aquatic wildlife pond near Rosewood.
- Installed four new wood piles to encourage wildlife activity.
How to register for the event
To register visit www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/ and receive your pack in the post or complete the guide online. Best of luck!
Please check the relevant country’s Covid guidance for the latest information as guidelines are subject to change. Enjoy your birdwatch and please take part safely.